INTER-FACE is the second International Conference on Live Interfaces. It gathers paper presentations, performances, interactive installations, poster demonstrations and workshops. The first conference took place in 2012, Leeds, UK. In 2014, it will happen in Lisbon, Portugal. Click HERE to see the complete program.
INTER-FACE is dedicated to problematising convergences and divergences between different understandings of performance technology. It seeks to expose a variety of motivations and approaches, and discuss how specific understandings of ‘liveness’, ‘immediacy’, ‘timing’ or ‘flow’ manifest in performance with digital media.
Computers are tabula rasa. Software mediates physical action through code, and code embeds theories informed by specific purposes and criteria. For example, interfaces may apply the study of mechanisms through which we naturally perceive the world, because the interface brings a sense of immediate interaction. At the same time, interfaces may require effort, in a way that conveys expression. The problem is, theories embedded in software are too often taken for granted. In everyday life we are used to handling computers as magic black boxes that save us labor. When the black box works, its origins are forgotten; the more science and technology succeed, the more opaque and obscure they become, and the more distant we become of computation as creative material.
INTER-FACE will discuss the principles and assumptions governing interaction design, including perspectives from art, philosophy, product design and engineering. INTER-FACE seeks to create a space of multiplicity, so as to problematise how different spheres of concerns inform different approaches to interface design.
- Submission deadline: August 31st, 2014
- Registration: from October 7th, 2014. Please register at http://goo.gl/ypBZa7 before November 15th. Early Bird prices until November 1st.
- Camera-ready deadline for accepted papers: November 1st, 2014
- Registration in workshops: from November 1st, 2014. The number of participants is limited. Registration at http://goo.gl/psUjb1
- Conference: November 20th-23rd, 2014
On behalf of the organization team, we invite you to be part of INTER-FACE. Topics include, and are not restricted to:
- Augmented stage technologies
- Audio-visual performance with 3D software
- Biophysical sensors
- Brain-computer interfaces
- Computer vision
- Disparities between a physical input and its digital analysis
- Dramaturgy/choreography/composition with digital media
- Gesture recognition, control and/ or unpredictability
- Language and hypertext
- Live coding in music, video, animation, dance
- Mappings between acoustic and digital sound
- Technology of night life (e.g. algorave parties)
- Perceptual and cognitive issues
- Phenomenology of performance with digital media
- Audience interaction
- Philosophical and historical perspectives
- Tangible interaction